Tooth-Colored Fillings – Garland, TX
A Painless Way to Treat Tooth Decay
Even if you’re great at caring for your teeth, you may still develop tooth decay or cavities. There’s no shame in that — it happens to the best of us! Still, the only way to treat such decay in the past was to get a silver amalgam filling. This treatment was often unsightly, not to mention risky for your oral health. Fortunately, things are different now due to tooth-colored fillings in Garland. Today, Orbit Dental’s dentists use them to make teeth healthier and prettier. If you’d like to learn more, keep reading or book a visit with our office!
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are materials that fill holes or gaps in decayed teeth. By repairing tooth structures damaged by decay, they keep the treated tooth healthier in the long run.
Unlike silver amalgam fillings, tooth-colored ones use composite resin — a putty-like mixture of ultra-fine plastic and glass particles. As such, they’re metal-free and have a reputation for being safe. Furthermore, dentists can shade resin material to match natural tooth enamel. Consequently, fillings made of it make teeth look like they never had cavities at all.
Given these facts, you can trust that a tooth-colored filling will be discreet and understated.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
In most cases, you can get tooth-colored fillings in Garland in just one dental visit. That said, the timing can vary based on the patient.
The filling process itself involves several steps. Firstly, our dentists will numb the area of your mouth that will receive the restoration. (We can sedate you for this process if you wish.) After doing so, they’ll remove the tooth’s decayed portions and fill in the remainder until the lost enamel is restored.
Once the filling itself is placed, the dentists will harden its layers using ultraviolet light. (This action ensures the resin won’t wash off at a later point.) From there, they’ll finish the treatment by sculpting, reshaping, and polishing the final result.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Since they rely on more advanced technology, tooth-colored fillings have more perks than metal amalgam ones. For instance, they offer the following benefits:
- A Natural-Looking Appearance: The fillings in question are custom-shaded and don’t cause a tooth’s surroundings to look grayer over time.
- Greater Security Composite resin directly bonds to the tooth for a stabler attachment.
- Less Involved Treatment: Tooth-colored fillings remove less enamel than metal ones. As such, they preserve more of your natural tooth structure.
- Less Tooth Sensitivity: Tooth-colored fillings don’t trigger allergies or sensitivities to metal. Furthermore, they don’t shift when exposed to hot or cold temperatures. Best of all, they effectively shield a tooth’s nerves from upsetting stimuli.
- Improved Oral Health: Of course, tooth-colored fillings protect teeth from harmful bacteria. However, they also avoid the flaw of expanding and contracting over time — something that increases the risk of chips/cracks/fractures.
- High Durability: Tooth-colored fillings are just as durable as traditional amalgam ones, lasting 10 years on average. Plus, they require little maintenance beyond brushing, flossing, and checkups.
I Need a Dental Checkup & Cleaning I am Missing 1 or More Teeth I Want a Straighter Smile I am Interested in Cosmetic Dentistry I am Worried About Bleeding Gums I Have a Cavity or Broken Tooth I am Afraid/Afraid of the Dentist I Want a Dentist for My Child I am in Pain & Need Help View Our Services